- A Curriculum for Academic Achievement
- Study Skills & Self-Management
- Academic Achievement Assistance
- Foreign Language & Culture
- Good Friends & Good Citizens
- Special Class Trips
- Visual Arts
- Music & Performing Arts
- Physical Education
- Extracurricular Activities
- Annual Events
December , 2013
- December 9 - 4th Grade Field Trip to San Juan Capistrano
- December 13 - PTG Meeting
- December 19 - Winter Concert at the La Mesa Community Center
- December 23 - Winter Break
January , 2014
- December 23 -- Winter Break
- January 10 -- PTG Meeting
- January 20 -- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday-School Closed
- January 24 -- End of the Second Quarter
- January 27 -- Science Fair Set Up at Bell Middle School
- January 28 -- Science Fair Judging at Bell Middle School
- January 28 -- Staff Development Day-Minimum Day for Students
Music & Performing Arts
Poised & Proficient Performers
Mt. Helix Academy students develop skills in and appreciation for both vocal and instrumental music in our excellent Music & Performing Arts program. Our student performers develop poise and self-confidence as they demonstrate their skills in exceptional music performances each school year.
Music class for all K-5 students
Through twice-weekly music classes, students are taught basic singing skills, as well as the fundamentals of music theory, leading them to proficiency in note and musical symbol identification, and musical terminology. Elementary students are taught to play the recorder and percussive instruments, which serve as tools for learning basic ensemble skills while having fun with sound in the process.
Optional music opportunities
Students are also encouraged to participate in optional instrumental music programs, including band, violin, and woodwind ensembles. Private piano and guitar lessons are also available from some of our talented staff members. Each year, students from Mt. Helix Academy display their skills in the annual Talent Show, produced and directed by parent volunteers.
Mt. Helix Academy is also recognized for its excellent musical theater program. Our productions of Annie Get Your Gun, Wizard of Oz, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and Sound of Music received rave reviews from the many people who attended performances at the Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Performing Arts Center each of the past three. Over 65 Mt. Helix Academy students participated in each of these plays. In prior years, productions were staged of Annie, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin. Musicals are produced by Robert Meehan and Directed by Michelle Foggiano.